Founded in 1919, Zonta International is a global organization of executives and professionals working together to advance the status of women worldwide through service and advocacy. Nearly 33,000 members belong to more than 1,200 Zonta Clubs in 67 countries and geographical areas. It has consultative status with six UN agencies and two international organizations.
Each year, Zontians dedicate hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours and millions of dollars to local and international service programs, as well as scholarship and award programs aimed at furthering women’s education, promoting economic self sufficiency, leadership and youth development.
Throughout its history, improving the status of women politically, legally, professionally, and in all other facets of life has been the motivating force. Zonta International and Zonta Club programs are making this happen, laying the groundwork for women to achieve not just their personal goals but to improve conditions for women worldwide.
- Provide service at the global and local level;
- Improve the legal, political, economic, educational, health and professional status of women’
- Work for the advancement of understanding , goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of executives in business and the professions;
- Promote justice and universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms; and
- Be united internationally to foster high ethical standards, implement service programs, and provide mutual support and fellowship for members who serve their communities, their nations, and the universe
Zonta is a Sioux Indian Word meaning "honest" or "trustworthy"
Its EMBLEM is a composite of 5 Sioux Indian symbols.
|"to carry together"|
|"to stand together"|
|Shelter-signifying service for other|
|Qualities of honesty and trustworthiness|